"Precisely by slicing out this moment and freezing it, all photographs testify to time's relentless melt." Susan Sontag

Friday, July 8, 2016

XU AGAIN


Xu Bing's "Book from the Sky" installation at the Blanton was a fun way to spend the early morning yesterday. I arrived at the museum just before the doors opened. There was only one other person standing there with me. I had the room to myself for about fifteen minutes before it started to fill.


Visually playing with the entire design, the hanging scrolls, the colors, and the feel - and I love architecture so I had a good time working the space.



What looks like Chinese characters to the western eye are actually inventions of Xu Bing. He designed 4000 faux Chinese calligraphy characters that mean nothing. You cannot read this exhibit.

Xu designed the entire room, the size, the wall and floor colors, the color temperature of the lighting, the book spacings were all specific and precise to the work.

The work itself is about thirty years old and has traveled around the world. I'm glad I got to experience it in the real. Hats off to the Blanton naturally.


©2016 Andy deBruyn

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment