"In the still water of the fountains one saw the splash of human faces, ignited by these gold and scarlet stars as they rose hissing into heaven like thirsty swans." from Justine by Lawrence Durrell.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

MOTION PICTURE FILM VS STORE BOUGHT

The other night I was looking at an album of some older prints from my film days. I posted the one shot in 1976 in the Boston market.

Here are two "on the set" production shots from videos I shot for clients. The top one (circa 1989) is Kodak Kodacolor film. Can't remember the actresses' name. The video had something to do with a weight loss program.


The bottom is from a video that was titled something like,  "How to Prepare for Your Wedding".


 I can only remember the actress' first name as Sheri. This particular image is interesting for the fact that I shot it with motion picture film.  Eastman Kodak negative #5247 with an exposure rating of ASA 125/DIN 22 and was tungsten balanced. 5247 is an ECN-2 processed film as opposed to the more common C-41.

I had the grips block all the windows in the kitchen with black duvatyne and lit the scene with tungsten lighting. I rated the film at the suggested 125 Exposure Index.

I purchased the film from a company called FilmWorks in Seattle. They are long gone now but they used to roll any kind of motion picture film in those little cassettes so you could use them in your 35mm still camera.

This method was very popular with cinematographers who could load their still cameras with different film emulsions when they went on site surveys. They could shoot stills of the scenery and backgrounds and then decide what film looked best for their picture. 

I have the print next to me and the colors are very natural and film like and looks pretty good on my monitor. I don't know if you're seeing the same thing I am.

                        Again the inherent quality of organic film properties and process is evident.

Even on my monitor I can see the difference between the store bought Kodacolor (top) and the 5247 on the bottom which was more expensive but allowed the cameraman to dial in a more predetermined look.

If you're interested in film history you can check wikipedia for the history of FilmWorks.

Photos from the old facility.
http://www.normboynton.com/LabTour_files/LabTour.htm


Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment