"Precisely by slicing out this moment and freezing it, all photographs testify to time's relentless melt." Susan Sontag

Monday, January 11, 2016

FILM IN ALL IT'S GLORY

                                                 Susan and kitty ©1984-2016 Andy deBruyn


I made the posted image in 1984 using my trusty OM-1 with the Zuiko 50mm and the standard vanilla Kodacolor. No matter how hard I try I can't get this look and feel with digital. Close? for me no way-no cigar.

Image is a 4x6 print scanned on a HP C8180. The negative is buried somewhere in one of the many boxes of negatives stored in the closet. Another huge undertaking to plan for some future days...daze.
Perusing through thousands of images and then scan the actual negative.

The diffused light is from a floor to ceiling window with a cream curtain.
 
With digital as the new paradigm, I imagine younger folks won't get to experience the look of film.
Digital images are mostly viewed with back lighting from some appliance like your computer or one of those Pop Tart looking phones. Whenever I print digital files I use papers with the softest patinas I can find.

I'm not knocking digital, it's fun to use, cleaner because of no chemicals, don't have to wear gloves during processing, it's just another set of tools to learn and bend to your vision.

Thanks for stopping by.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment