"Precisely by slicing out this moment and freezing it, all photographs testify to time's relentless melt." Susan Sontag

Friday, January 29, 2016

CAN I GET A SPUD FEE, TOO?

                               
                     
                                                                                                                             ©2016 Andy deBruyn

So maybe you've read (or not) about the recent purchase of a photograph of a potato that sold for over one million dollars. If not, you can google "one million paid for a photograph of a potato" or something like that and the rest of the story should appear.

So (I won't mention any names) but unsaid photographer made a killing with an image of one (1) potato on a black background and someone with more money than they know what to do with offered him one million plus. Quite a spud fee.

The polemics, pros and cons, trashing, praising, and/or plain gossip on many photo websites around the planet is hot (hot potato if I may)  and bubbly right about now.

I figure if one potato is worth that much mayonnaise then maybe more would be better. So I made my own potato art just a few minutes ago. Took about ten minutes to produce and about 9 shots. Most of the shots was just adjusting the height, I wanted the exact perfect height so the spuds would have their moment. This whole exercise including the posting took less than half an hour.

These are some fingerlings from my backyard. I really didn't plant them on purpose I just threw some
old ones out there and they just grew naturally.

Tech Specs for potatoes - Nikon D7000 with a 50mm lens in manual mode on a tripod. Manually focused also. ISO 100. 1/20th ss, at f5.6 in natural light. The shaded side of the house.  

OK, so now it's your turn. Make an image of your favorite spud, make an  8x10, and see what you can get for it.

"Speaking Of" section: Here's a shot of a couple of pears I took three years ago. I guess I was foreseeing the future-solanum tuberosumlly speaking of course.     I think it's a beautiful image.


If interested in a print...I'm only charging 35.00 unmatted. 50.00 with custom matte....hurry it's a bargain!! (add 3.50 for shipping)

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment