"Precisely by slicing out this moment and freezing it, all photographs testify to time's relentless melt." Susan Sontag

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

ROMAN HEAD AND GRAPES

                                      Roman Head with Grapes              ©Andy deBruyn

Here's a tabletop image I made this morning using some fruits and vegetables and a plaster Roman Head.

I took this with the Nikon D7000 on a tripod using the cable release. I removed the UV filter from the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 lens.

Shot at ISO 100 in manual mode, f3.5, 1/10th ss. This is mostly natural lighting using what is usually referred to as room tone. There is one small Arri Pepper 150W with a 1/2" snoot shooting from the right rear which was on a variac set to about 50 volts. I handheld a golden circular reflector over the set while tripping the shutter with the other hand.

BTW - I made the plaster roman head about 40 years ago while living in Verona, Italy. A sculptor friend showed me some basic modeling techniques with plaster and powdered paint in earth colors.

Tomorrow behind the scene shot.
Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment