"In the still water of the fountains one saw the splash of human faces, ignited by these gold and scarlet stars as they rose hissing into heaven like thirsty swans." from Justine by Lawrence Durrell.

Monday, August 10, 2015

ONE FROM THE PAST

                                                                                                                   © Andy deBruyn

I was cleaning out one of the closets tonight and found this 8x10 of moored boats somewhere in Maine. I just returned from four years of overseas military duty in Italy.

I don't have the negative (probably hidden deep in some box in the attic) - the camera I was using at the time was a Pentax Spotmatic with a 55mm Takumar f1.8 lens. This was before I attended the Art Institute of Boston for photography on the GI Bill.

Looks like I already had a feel for composition only to be fine tuned at AIB. I can only attribute the overall warm/orange feel on a rainy and probably blue day to a warming filter. I had several filters of different densities in the orange and blue. I actually still have those filters.

I would say it's the 85 filter because of the intensity on the orange on daylight (5500K) film. Which technically isn't the filter to use but I experimented a lot with pushing Kelvin temperatures around.

It's possible this is the harbor in Kennebunkport which is where I lived for a couple of months before moving south to Boston. circa May - July 1975.

Needless to say, it's film.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment