"Precisely by slicing out this moment and freezing it, all photographs testify to time's relentless melt." Susan Sontag

Monday, March 2, 2015

TWO EARLY DIGITAL PORTRAITS

  I purchased my first DSLR in late 2008. Up til then I shot film. But the writing was on the wall. Kodak was slowly dropping products. Digital sensors that made decent images were coming down in price, way down. The first commercially available digital camera by Kodak, the DCS100 sold for $20,000 in 1990 and boasted a whopping 1.3MP!

The posted images were made in the first two months of owning the Nikon D80. I hadn't quite wrapped my brain around the ins and outs of the controls. The original files looked quite digital but with the help of some curve writing in photoshop I managed to come close to the filmic look. At least I scrapped off some of the digital haze that was still evident back then.


                                                                 ©2008 Andy deBruyn

Hillary was my first digital portrait subject. I loved her hair and eyes and knew that the color would be great. She obliged and trusted me with my new camera. Shot at ISO 250, exposure compensation was a whole number -1.0.  It was a very sunny day -  there's a 24"x 36" China silk diffusion over her head held in place with a c-stand. That softened the light and helped open some shadows. No flash.  
f5.6   1/125th ss lens at 142mm.

                                                                                ©2008 Andy deBruyn


Taken several days later, my son (who is now 15!) was strumming away on the shadow side of the house so again the light was bouncy and soft. In post I tried to twist a little Kodachrome look out of the software.
Shot at ISO 400, exposure comp of -0.3, @ f5.6 1/125th ss. 202mm on lens.

After seven years with digital, it still offers a path of discovery for me. Prior to 2008, I used an Olympus OM1 for thirty years with Kodachrome and Tri-X films being my main image capture media. As they say, old habits die slowly. I'll come around eventually.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment