"In the still water of the fountains one saw the splash of human faces, ignited by these gold and scarlet stars as they rose hissing into heaven like thirsty swans." from Justine by Lawrence Durrell.

Thursday, March 12, 2015

IT'S ALL THERE IN BLACK AND WHITE


Last week I spent some time scanning some old black and white negatives of mine, mostly Tri-X and Plus-X with a couple of Ilfords thrown in. For me, black and white is still very much meaningful, prevalent, and I just love it.
  

So I took some of my recent digtial files and searched for images that I thought would be fun to convert from the original color digital files into black and white. I'm not endorsing any particular software but there are a number of them on the market, Topaz, Nik Silver Efex, and DxO to mention three. 


One thing I noticed was some images look super in b&w while others tend to suffer, look flat, and render better in color.



I kept the transfers mostly classical, zone system type black and white except with the image of Monica on the bottom which is a combination of gold and selenium toning.

I'm on a roll so I'll be doing some more conversions today looking at the various selenium selections available. In film days, selenium toning was very popular and done by adding the undiluted selenium liquid to your wash using a variety of ratios for different patinas. 

With packaged conversion programs you only have the five or six selenium options available in the presets but then of course you can take the image over to Photoshop and further paint.

All images ©2015 Andy deBruyn

Click top image for slides.

Thanks for stopping by.  

No comments:

Post a Comment