"In the still water of the fountains one saw the splash of human faces, ignited by these gold and scarlet stars as they rose hissing into heaven like thirsty swans." from Justine by Lawrence Durrell.

Monday, March 2, 2015

GAWRSH DARN GUMMIT

Darn it and gawrsh darn gummit, I for one sure do miss film. I guess I got to thinking about it when I mentioned it in yesterday's post. I'd love to work with film again but it's: too cumbersome with huge enlargers, lots of table space for developer baths, and then there's the issue of the chemistry. Probably wasn't that good for the environment. 
But it has a look that I love. Fortunately, I have thousands of negatives from past years that I can appreciate over and over. I don't think they render their best here on the internet...printed on the appropriate paper - you can't beat it. I'm getting used to this digital look but boy the old way sure made for yummy images. Here's some random shots with info that I can remember.  

Publicity shot for The Odd Couple - city of Fremont's Little Theatre





It's yours truly with a self portrait. Now a couple of things here, one: I've got black hair! and two I'm shooting with a Pentax Spotmatic 35mm with the Takumar 50mm f1.8 lens. Bought that when I was in the army overseas.

OK, move Mom into the shot. Taken somewhere in Pennsylvania as we traveled across country.
Believe this was a Howard Johnson's motel. Circa 1976.


A picture of my wife taken in Napa California. I don't think the web does this
justice at all. But presented properly it looks very painterly and gorgeously soft.. Something that today requires some shenanigans with Photoshop. 1989/90ish.

Esmeralda and Sneakers probably around 1983. Love the shaft of light.

                        Caught mom in a pensive mood at the restaurant. Taken at the HoJo's above.

OK a little nostalgia today. But I will continue to dig deep in my archives for other filmic treasures.
I'm tempted to start shooting film again but there's buying the film, shipping to a lab and having it scanned and the cost. Gawrsh darn gummit.

Thanks for stopping by.
A friend, Kathleen with Tex in hills above the San Francsisco bay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment