"In the still water of the fountains one saw the splash of human faces, ignited by these gold and scarlet stars as they rose hissing into heaven like thirsty swans." from Justine by Lawrence Durrell.

Monday, February 23, 2015

FILM NOIR-ISH ON THE FLY

This past Saturday I was working at one of my bread and butter shoots - the venue also had a stage for school plays, etc. There was a full sized phone booth prop pushed up against the wall. I asked my intrepid photo assistant, Maria, if she would become an impromptu actress ala Gene Tierney. She enthusiastically agreed.     

                             ©2015 Andy deBruyn

There are three light sources here. One, a large floor to ceiling window behind me providing overall light. It was a very cloudy day so the light was even and soft. Two,  I placed an AlienBee 800 firing into a silver reflector about ten feet in the air firing down from behind. I used the little on camera popup flash set to 1/40th power just strong enough to activate the slave on the AB800.   

                                                                               ©2015 Andy deBruyn


I converted the images to black and white in Photoshop using a gradient mask. Didn't add any light directions just darken all existing ones to emulate the early 1940's film noir look. I had John Alton in mind, the great black and white cinematographer of that era.

Nikon D7000 with the 18-135 set to ISO 400.

The images weren't planned of course since I had no idea there would be a phone booth so we both improvised for about ten minutes during a break.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment