"In the still water of the fountains one saw the splash of human faces, ignited by these gold and scarlet stars as they rose hissing into heaven like thirsty swans." from Justine by Lawrence Durrell.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

SEVERAL WORDS ON METHODOLOGY

©2014 Andy deBruyn
 
Here is another image from yesterday morning's walk about. I really love the palette here. The green/yellow blend coming from a slow leeching of chlorophyll gives this
an unworldly hue. Naming this yellow/green doesn't do it justice. It's one of those
colors I can't get from a tube of paint. The perfect mix would take me forever.
 
Most of yesterday's images were run thru Photoshop to tweak color and edge sharpness.
I spend about 2 to 3 minutes with each image and that's it. Then I web size and publish.
 
A lot of the younger photographers love to sit in front of their computers and tweak the holy heck out of their images. I've read some photogs blog where they've spent days (days?) tweaking just one image.
 
I grew up in a world without computers and I really don't like them that much. The last thing I want to do is sit in front of back lit images for a long time. I think my burn out point is about
a half an hour. Then I need to get up and go look at the sky or check my basil in the backyard.
 
Now to the methodology - a digital camera is basically a light sensitive computer. There's literally hundreds of tweaks you can perform in camera. That's where I do most of my putzing with
settings and calibrations...in camera. Like on yesterday's walk - I would take an image,
preview the lcd and then reset tweaks - color, saturation, hue, sharpness, white balance, re- adjust  RGB channels. Not that the lcd in back of the camera is a great point of reference but I've done it enough I know what to expect when I get back to the office. I'd rather putz and tweak standing in a field of grass and grain, warmed by the sun, chilled by a slight breeze, then sit in front of a monitor.
 
The image above is straight from camera, all I did was resize for this post. I didn't want to lose
that hue of green. Of course, it will probably look different on your monitor. Another
reason I don't trust this technology. Nothing like getting an image to your liking and
printing it on a beautifully textured paper and then holding it in your hand without the
need to turn on an appliance to view it.
 
My two lira.
 
Thanks for stopping by.    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment