"In the still water of the fountains one saw the splash of human faces, ignited by these gold and scarlet stars as they rose hissing into heaven like thirsty swans." from Justine by Lawrence Durrell.

Thursday, November 20, 2014

LEAFY ART


This is an image from my San Gabriel River trek on Wednesday. An extreme close up of a leaf that was obviously a meal or several meals for some hungry little critters.

I love abstract expressionism and I've tried my hand at painting some abstracts, mostly acrylics on canvas. I think I was somewhat successful but finding these abstract bizarre patterns in nature as been more satisfying. A draftsman I'm not. But the camera allows me the opportunity to explore shapes, colors, patterns that I would otherwise not be able to reproduce manually.

The above image was taken with the Nikon D7000 with a 50mm lens fitted with a +4 close up filter. The camera was on my tripod and the shutter tripped with a slight delay to avoid shake as much as possible. It was a pretty breezy morning and I waited for the wind to die down a bit snapping images quickly before another draft came through. I was down in a very steep gulley making a perfect tunnel for the gusts of wind.

ISO 200, f11, 1/160th of a second.

Click image for bigger.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by.

No comments:

Post a Comment