"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity or perception to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication." Friedrich Nietzsche

Monday, November 17, 2014

LANDSCAPE

                                                                                                ©2014 Andy deBruyn


I see patterns and tonalities in nature all the time. It's just how my eye is wired. And I use the singular because I think it's the inner eye too. A lot of it may have to do with my love of 17th and 18th century landscape painters, especially Corot and Constable.

And the Hudson River School painters have definitely altered the way I perceive nature.

In the HRS, nature always looms large, overpowering, and man is just a small object placed somewhere in the landscape. As a peasant, as an observer.

Favorites include, Washington Allston, Thomas Cole, Frederic Edwin Church, and Arthur Brown Durand.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment