"In the still water of the fountains one saw the splash of human faces, ignited by these gold and scarlet stars as they rose hissing into heaven like thirsty swans." from Justine by Lawrence Durrell.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

THE PORTRAITIST'S DILEMMA

 
The Portrait. I love taking portraits of people. That said, I find it a very complicated process. On my part. I never want the "sitter" to feel any concern, in fact, I try to make the experience natural and easy peasy as possible. Seamless and well as seemless. 

 
I want to capture the essence of the person as best I can. But I don't want it to look like one of those canned studio shots. You know those places...you find them in malls and department stores.
Nothing inherently wrong with their endeavors but selecting a backdrop by pulling it down from the ceiling isn't my style.  

 
My style includes controlling the image and making something unique without being way out there.
 
Of course, if it's a corporate head shot meant for a company web site or brochure then certainly the classic pose and an unobstrusive backdrop is what you want. And I have those too along with all the appropriate lighting fixtures needed to take a fine studio picture.
 
I guess that's why I said at the top that it's a complicated process (for me) maybe complicated is too
thick...it's just that I care about the image - I want the sitter to look good - I want my
imprint print visible.

Given the chance and the trust of the sitter - the artsy side of me bubbles to the top.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment