OK, here is what had to happen to make yesterday's image.
I wanted the background to be wood maybe like a barn or a shed. Fortunately a neighbor took apart what looks like an old dresser and put the boards on the curbside for trash pickup. I grabbed several planks. This was about a month ago. I cut the planks to a working size, cut some 1 bys and nailed those together.
Vintage wooden background resting on shooting table held in place with a c-stand.
The night before I worked out the arrangement on paper. It never comes out
exactly but it's a great way to create a path to follow.
Here's the set-up. There's just one light, the 300watt fresnel on the left side. Because of the low ISO the light coming from the blinds is neglible. There's a sheet of Lee 250 diffusion hanging on another c-stand. This is spreading the light over the entire set. There's a small piece of tape on
the fourth plank down left - this marks center frame.
On the right side is a 24"x36" white foamcore sprayed with several stripes of gold paint to
add just a hint of warmth. There's a 10x36 reflector with Rosco silver to give it a front pop.
The only issue I had with exposure is the egg beater being silver was overexposing so
I gave it a healthy spraying of Aqua-Net hair spray to cut the reflection. If you look
closely there's a red push pin at the top plank with twine running across to the left side.
This marks the top of the frame.
And viola!! ----
An aside for cinephiles- the red glass jar in the bottom left of frame is a nod to the Japanese
film director Ozu. If you're familiar with his work you'll recognize the tribute.
The actual set up and shoot took about two hours. And the organic carrots made a great snack.
Thanks for stopping by.